Thursday, March 19, 2015

Livin' It Up... Angela's Visit to H-Town

Back in November one of my best friend's from high school reached out to let me know she was coming to Houston in March and for months we exchanged emails about how excited we were to see each other and reminded each other of the days to go until we were going to see each one another again. It had been 6 years. I was a new mom and she was a newlywed.

We both had anxiety about seeing each other again. Even though we kept in touch there was the fear that we had grown so far apart.


March 15th was finally here. I set my alarm for 8am to give myself plenty of time to get ready for our day. I rolled out bed, pajamas still on, slipped into my slippers, and grabbed my car keys. My first stop was Starbucks to pick up an Iced Skinny Caramel Macchiato before going to the gas station's touch-less car wash to get the pollen dust off of my car. That shit is thick and puts a nasty green coating on the vehicles here. Had to show up not lookin' a hot mess, car included.

Back home to get ready before I had to drive about a half hour to pick her up from church. After parking in the wrong lot and making a 6 month preggars walk to find me the ultimate reward was when she rounded the corner and we ran to each other for the best hug. When we let go she exclaimed, "How did I know you'd have a Mustang!!!" It felt like no time had passed since our last get together and we feel right into easy conversation. I even made her a Texas themed gift bag filled with a bunch of shit.


We never turned on the car radio, which we always did as teenagers with the windows down, music blaring, dancing, and checking out the boys. We may or may not have treated the streets of Portland, OR like they were Bourbon Street. She was a true partner in crime. Ha!

After 30 more minutes in the car we finally made it to Hugo's in downtown Houston to have their Sunday brunch buffet. Parking is sparse on the street so we valet parked. I had an issue opening their heavy ass wooden door and the valet guys laughed at us. We did not make reservations since they did not have any slots open at the time we would be arriving, however, because the weather finally cleared up and the sun was out they opened up their patio and we got sat immediately by the table for two in front of the fountain which kept splashing us throughout our meal. Thank goodness for a Lifeproof case on my iPhone.

Okay, the food! I meant to snap a photo of my plate but was so hangry that I dove right in. They had the most authentic Mexican food I have had since I moved to Texas 7 years ago. Red snapper ceviche, octopus ceviche (not my fave), chips (the best!!!) and guacamole, spanish rice with peas, corn pudding, carnitas, red pork, and chile relleno. Oh my!! She's the pregnant one and I ate like I was. Kept it to one plate even though I secretly wanted seconds but didn't want to look like a pig and have been trying to lose weight. I have plans of going back soon and stuffing myself silly. If you go it is a little pricey at $30/person but I promise it is so worth it. Try everything. They have dessert too but we didn't get any since she has gestational diabetes and that would be no bueno.

When we were done eating we went to pick up the car from valet and found out that they killed my battery by keeping my running lights on for 3 hours. After they got it jumped they drove it to the front and gave me a lesson on how to work my lights, hello! I wasn't the one who left them on. I've been driving this car for the last 8 years. I think I know how to work my lights but it made us laugh so hard.

Onto the next adventure...

After 50+ u-turns we finally made it up the street, literally up the street it seemed, and found a paid parking lot where we accidentally put money into the wrong slot, it was an antiquated machine, and we laughed so hard about it, and after struggling to open another door we were in Stages Repertory Theatre to see the play, Girl's Night The Musical. This was such an intimate theatre with a full service bar inside and you were pretty much sitting on top of the actors. It was fantastic fun for the most part. They had a fabulous "party ambassador" who kept us entertained during intermission by performing Beyonce's Single Ladies and then asking if anyone knew how to do the club dance, The Wobble. Angela and I knew how and made our way onto the stage. That was the highlight of our day. We were the youngest attendees and were shaking our asses in front of older women and men. The looks were priceless. The play was good but I noticed I got bored many times.

(The theatre beginning to fill with patrons, but we were this close. You could smell the actors breaths, gross, not really.)

(Seriously, late 20s and we were the youngest in attendance. Next age group had to be in their late 40s.)

Once the play wrapped up we raced up to my place in time to pick up Little Man from his dad and headed to dinner at Saltgrass Steak House. We had to use the restroom so bad and raced into the stalls. As we were coming out of the bathroom the door on the inside read "Men's Restroom". We laughed so hard thinking we went into the wrong bathroom and hung out a little longer to see if a man would come in. So much hasn't changed since we were teenagers, still boy crazy.

She had chicken, I had steak and after dinner we headed to Starbucks for dessert and had Strawberries and Creme Frappuccinos (not the healthiest choice for her but we wanted them) before we had to drop her off for the night back at her sister in law's house in a neighboring suburb.

The day was long and packed full of fun, sad to see her go, but we won't let that much time pass before we see each other again.

No comments:

Post a Comment