Friday, March 27, 2015

Doin' Some Cookin'... Carrot Ginger Soup

I strive to lead a healthier lifestyle with cleaner and healthier eating. Sometimes I slip up, like today, when a coworker surprised me with a Philly cheesesteak sandwich with fries but I only ate half of the sandwich though. Small victories.

After a long day at work and dealing with a rowdy little boy it takes everything I've got left in me to get dinner on the table most nights. That's not going to happen without planning the menu the night before and worst case there's always Plan B... sandwiches... which as a working mom happens more than I'd like. But it's not just dinner either, there is breakfast, lunch, and snacks, it's all very exhausting.


Onto the soup...

Sweet carrots are cooked down, mixed with spicy ginger, and has a velvety texture. This is mostly veggies so it's super healthy, can be made ahead of time, and freezes well. Serve with a side of buttery crusty bread. Next time I would garnish with toasted sesame seeds, toasted pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds for some crunch.

While you're waiting for the soup to simmer this is the perfect opportunity for some family time. I've been trying to teach Little Man how to play some card games I learned as a kid.

Also... the change in weather has everyone in our office at work sick and I've caught the cold bug. Thank goodness this makes a large batch and I think this may help to bring me back to health.

Carrot Ginger Soup
Adapted From: Fashionably Employed
Makes about 6 cups

Stars of the Show:
  • 2 bags of shredded carrots
  • 1 tbsp onion powder
  • 4 roasted garlic cloves, minced
  • 3/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 4 cups low sodium veggie broth
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
And Action:

Heat olive oil in a medium pot over medium high heat for 2 minutes. Add carrots and onion powder. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. 

Add ginger and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stir frequently.

Add 2 cups of veggie broth, bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer until carrots are soft, about 30-45 minutes. 

Pulse the mixture in a food processor adding the additional 2 cups of veggie broth until smooth. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment