Sunday, March 29, 2015

Doin' Some Cookin'... Roasted Butternut Squash Soup


This is my first time making butternut squash soup but have had it out at restaurants on multiple occasions. The most memorable bowl of butternut squash soup I've had was at Smith and Wollensky two years ago for Thanksgiving, it was served with a truffled mustard cream. Ah-mazing!

Being that I've come down with something (I'm extremely exhausted today!) the only thing I crave is soup. Needing to use up some butternut squash I picked up last weekend at Whole Foods and stumbling across a recipe for this soup was good enough reason to use up any energy I had left in me to get in the kitchen and make this.

I served this soup with grilled turkey cheese sandwiches for a filling lunch which was the perfect combo. If you want to keep it lighter you could serve with a handful of crackers. If you'd like you can also top with some toasted pumpkin seeds and bacon.

This soup is so easy to make. Be sure to double the batch so you have plenty of leftovers. Trust me, you'll thank yourself later.

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Adapted From: The Simple Veganista
Makes 2-3 Servings

Stars of the Show:
  • 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
  • 3 roasted garlic cloves
  • 2 tbsp shallots
  • 1 tbsp onion powder
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • sea salt, to taste
  • dried rosemary, to taste
  • cayenne pepper, to taste
  • dried thyme, to taste
  • water or veggie broth, to taste
And Action:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Toss the butternut squash with olive oil, onion powder, sea salt, rosemary, cayenne pepper, and thyme. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 40 minutes, stirring about every 10 minutes, until fork tender and golden brown. 

Place the roasted butternut squash in a food processor with the garlic and shallots and pulse with water or veggie broth (add in small increments until desired consistency is reached). Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment