Monday, February 1, 2016

Doin' Some Cookin'... Beef Enchilada Bake

I love casseroles because you get your meat and veggies in one flavorful bite.

While making this I only dirtied two dishes, I am so down with meals that don't leave me in the kitchen standing at the sink for hours cleaning up.

With following the Whole30 program for the last 15 days I've had a few food cravings I've had to fight. When invited to a Mexican restaurant I watched the table stuff their faces with chips and salsa and then their entrees had beans and rice and dishes served with tortillas. Gah!


When meal planning I came across this recipe for a Beef Enchilada Bake and saw that it was diet compliant I knew I had to make it.

A couple of things about this recipe that I would change next time... use half the amount of cauliflower unless you really freakin' love it (it's the flavor profile that stood out the most) and go heavy handed on the spices. I didn't quite taste the "enchilada" but it still made for a satisfying lunch with plenty of leftovers and no guilt.

Because of the easy clean up I get to lounge around on the couch watching TV and just relax before the busy workweek begins.

Beef Enchilada Bake
Adapted From: Just Jessie B
Makes 4 Servings

Stars of the Show:
  • 1 head of cauliflower, shredded
  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 1 tbsp onion powder
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and minced
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp garlic
  • 1/4 tsp oregano
  • salt and pepper, to taste
And Action:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Saute ground beef and onion powder in a large pan until meat is no longer pink. Drain the fat.

Stir in the bell pepper, jalapeno, and tomato sauce and all seasonings into the meat, combine well. Add the cauliflower into the pan and crack the eggs into the pan as well, stir gently to coat and break up the eggs until they are no longer visible. 

Coat a 9"x13" baking dish with nonstick spray. 

Dump the mixture into the baking dish and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until browned around the edges. 

Let it cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment