Monday, February 15, 2016

Doin' Some Cookin'... Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps

I am taco obsessed. About once every three months we'll swing into a local taco house, Tita's, for the most authentic tacos I've ever had. It's located in Humble, TX and if you are near the area and haven't been make sure you make it there soon. I have them make me five random tacos of their choosing excluding any that include egg. Yes, five! Because I have no shame and end up not eating the rest of the day. My favorites I've had are potato with bacon, barbacoa, red pork, chicharron and their green sauce is to die for. Of course I have to wash it down with a pineapple soda too. I'm a pig but I cannot tell you how amazing their tacos are. I admit it. They make me feel like shit after I eat them and get terribly bloated but it's so worth it.

Because I'm fully committed to losing the weight I've packed on over the last four years it's imperative I focus on my diet and working out.

Healthy eating is doable with substitutions like lettuce for tortillas and turkey for beef to make a healthy twist on taco night. These tacos are so easy to prepare and a meal I feel good about feeding to Little Man as well. They aren't too spicy but have a little kick to them. If needed, add a dollop of plain Greek yogurt to tame the heat.

Best thing is that I can enjoy a plate of these without any bloating afterwards.

Healthy, quick, and oh so tasty... what more could you or I ask for?


Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps
Makes 4 Servings (2 Lettuce Wraps Each)

Stars of the Show:
  • 1 lb lean ground turkey
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 red onion, minced
  • 2 tbsp bell pepper, minced
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 4 oz tomato sauce
  • 8 large romaine leaves
And Action:

Brown turkey in a large skillet breaking it into smaller pieces as it cooks. When no longer pink add the seasoning and mix well. Add onion, bell pepper, water, tomato sauce and cover. Simmer on low for 20 minutes. 

Divide the meat into 8 servings and top the lettuce with it. Top with your favorite taco fixings like tomatoes, avocado, black olives, and salsa. If you're not following a low carb diet add cheese, black beans, corn, and sour cream. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment