Saturday, February 13, 2016

Doin' Some Cookin'... Mediterranean Tuna Salad

Little Man and I love love love tuna sandwiches. There is nothing more refreshing than a tuna sandwich on a hot day and a little unknown until now fact about me... they are my number one late night craving.

I've only made my tuna salad two ways to date:

  1. Mixed with nothing but mayo since Little Man likes it this way and I'm forever a 7 year old as well, or
  2. Mixed with nonfat plain Greek yogurt, mustard, capers, red onion, and salt and pepper because I can no longer be in denial that I'm growing older.
With early Spring in full effect here in Texas my mind has drifted to vacation planning and one of the destinations that is still on my bucket list is Italy. While researching my perfect getaway I came across this recipe for a Mediterranean Tuna Salad and bookmarked it since it was Whole30 compliant.


When I mixed up the batch of smoked tuna with lemon juice, sliced black olives, mint, and pickled banana peppers I was instantly transported to the coast of Italy. While I may not be able to afford that dream trip again this year because my sights have been set on purchasing a backyard, err, a home and setting aside all additional funds into savings for a down payment I can at least take my taste buds on a tour of Italy without breaking the bank.

I ate this on it's own but if you are following a low carb diet you can serve with sliced cucumbers, stuff the tuna salad into a red bell pepper half, or make a lettuce wrap. Oh the possibilities for a fresh and light meal and for getting out of a tuna salad slump.

Mediterranean Tuna Salad
Adapted From: Mel Joulwan's Well Fed
Makes 2 Servings

Stars of the Show:
  • 1 package smoked tuna (or a can of tuna packed in olive oil)
  • 5 black olives, sliced
  • 2 pickled banana peppers (pepperoncini), sliced into rings
  • 5 fresh mint leaves, chopped
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2 tbsp mayonnaise
And Action:

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and use a fork to break up the tuna and combining the ingredients. Take a taste and season as needed. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment