Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Doin' Some Cooking... Spice Rubbed Lime Salmon

I've got some exciting news to share. I've stuck to the 30-Day Meal Plan for 14 days now and have dropped 3.5 lbs with diet alone. If you know me then you know I am not one for taking any shortcuts and how much more satisfying I find the reward when done with hard work.

Granted, eating isn't hard work but not giving into temptation and holding myself accountable is. I'll be adding workouts into my daily routine soon. What works for me is making one change and getting a handle on that before doing anything else. Right now, it's eating healthy and staying hydrated.


I need variety when following a meal plan. If you follow this meal plan exactly as outlined you better like eggs and grapefruit, however, I've adapted it slightly without deterring from the core ingredients. For example: I've already made their Miso Salmon. Delicious and repeat worthy but rather than having that again another night I found a recipe for Spice Rubbed Lime Salmon which has ingredients that are all approved on the meal plan.

My plan was to make this for dinner since my son loves salmon but after having to deal with a stressful situation that took me away from work and needing a mental health day I decided to do something nice for myself and set the table for one, lit candles, had a restaurant worthy lunch, and a nap for dessert.

Another if you know me fact... I love lime. It excites me and reminds me of Summer... I can't let go and accept it's Fall, especially when the temps here in Texas are still in the upper 80s.

The salmon is slathered in a sweetened spice rub and brightened with a squeeze of lime juice served over a bed of Caribbean style rice with cilantro and lime (I cheated and used pre-made rice from the brand, Seeds of Change, bought at Whole Foods, and tossed it with a handful of cilantro and squeeze of lime). A healthy meal from start to finish that takes less than 20 minutes.

Spice Rubbed Lime Salmon
Makes 4 Servings

Stars of the Show:
  • 4 (4 oz) salmon fillets
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 2 tsp agave nectar or honey
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 lime
And Action:

Preheat the broiler. Set the rack 6 inches from the heat source. Line a baking sheet with foil sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. 

Place the salmon fillets on the baking sheet skin side down (if it has skin). 

In a medium bowl, stir together the olive oil, agave nectar, coriander, cumin, and salt until combined.

Brush the olive oil mixture over the salmon.

Place under the broiler until the salmon is cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes depending on the thickness of the salmon. 

Squeeze the lime over each fillet. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment