Monday, October 13, 2014

Doin' Some Cooking... Chicken Biryani


From my research on the Internet I discovered that Chicken Biryani is the equivalent to every Italian's  Sunday sauce recipe having been passed onto them from their mothers. I read countless stories of people recreating this dish and sharing memories of when they first tried it. I don't have a first to share. I'm a Chicken Biryani virgin and I've never stepped foot into an Indian restaurant so don't ask me to pronounce the name of this dish. I have no expectations. I told Little Man I was making chicken stir fry. If anyone would like to comment the phonetics below that would be most appreciated. 

Highly anticipated since I didn't know what to expect. 

Making this dish is a systematic progression from one step to the next. Your time in the kitchen will be spent sizzling spices and rice to dishing out a one pot wonder that is divine and filling. 

Chicken Biryani
Adapted From: Yummy Tummy
Makes 5-6 Servings

Stars of the Show:
  • 2 chicken breast cutlets, cut into bite size pieces
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • ground cinnamon
  • ground cardamom
  • ground cloves
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp plain yogurt
  • 2 red onions, thinly sliced
  • 2 tbsp garlic paste
  • handful of cilantro 
  • handful of mint leaves
  • ground ginger
  • 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
  • red chili paste
  • salt
  • 1 bag cooked basmati brown rice
And Action:

Heat oil in a large pot over medium. Add cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and sauté for 1 minute. 

Add a handful of onions and sauté until golden.

Add in garlic paste and sauté for 2 minutes. 

Add in cilantro and mint and sauté for 1 minute.

Add in ginger and sauté for 2 minutes.

Add in the chicken and toss well on high heat for 5 to 7 minutes until golden. 

Add in the remaining onions and tomatoes. Saute for 3-4 minutes.


Add in red chili paste and mix well.

Add the 1/2 cup of yogurt and salt, mix well. 

Add rice to the pot and mix well. 

Cover and cook over low heat for 10-12 minutes.

Turn heat off and let sit for 15 minutes. 

Fluff rice before serving. Serve with a dollop of plain yogurt or raita if desired. 






No comments:

Post a Comment