Friday, October 17, 2014

Doin' Some Cooking... Tomato Soup


When we were kids my mom would make us tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches at least once a week. I despised tomato soup. Clearly Campbell's did not know how to make it and it was a poor introduction to comfort food. I've canned the can.

While feeling fancy on a mother daughter date in my teen years I ordered tomato basil soup with a grilled cheese sandwich. I don't recall the restaurant but the soup was life changing. I became a tomato soup snob. From that point on I wanted to see the chunks of tomato and pieces of basil and for style points when I dipped my spoon in the bowl I wanted to watch the cream swirl.

The best tomato soup I've had to date has been from The Union Kitchen. It was really the Lobster Grilled Cheese Sandwich that I had my eye on but their tomato basil bisque was the knockout. It's creamy and decadent and absolutely crave worthy.

So crave worthy that I've been back numerous times for lunch to get their Ground Chicken Burger without the chips and substituting them for a cup of the tomato basil bisque. Pure perfection.

After a long day at work it would have been more convenient to walk next door and get an order to go for dinner, however, I was hell bent on making it from scratch. Plus I stay up later on Game Days to watch football so it's not like I didn't have the time.

Speaking of time, most of the time spent making this dish is waiting for the veggies to roast or simmer. Yes, it takes about an hour total to get this meal on the table but it too is pure perfection. I served it with none other than a grilled cheese but not just any grilled cheese. I made grilled cheese sandwiches with Challah buns and havarti dill. I think I just one upped my snobby tomato soup with grilled cheese self.

Tomato Soup
Adapted From: Gluten Free A-Z Blog
Makes 4 Servings

Stars of the Show:
  • 6 large tomatoes, quartered
  • 1 red bell pepper, quartered
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/8 cup olive oil
  • seasonings to taste (salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme)
  • handful of basil
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 cups half n half, optional
  • parmesan reggiano, optional
  • sour cream, optional 
And Action:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.


Mix the olive oil, veggies, and seasoning in a large bowl and toss to coat. Spread the veggies in a single layer on the baking sheet. Roast for 40 minutes, stirring halfway through. 

Heat veggie broth and garlic in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the basil and veggies with their juices to the pot and cook down for 20 minutes. Add butter and half n half. Blend with an immersion blender. If you don't have one you can do like I did and transfer to a food processor and pulse until desired consistency. 

Top with parmesan reggiano and sour cream if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment