Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Doin' Some Cooking... Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad Sandwich

I'm that obnoxious person in the line at Subway who puts just about every effin' ingredient they have on my sandwich. It's gets stuffed so full that I can't even take a bite with everything in it. That's what I love about it though, every bite tastes different.

We make sandwiches a couple times a week for dinner. If there are leftovers I give my Little Man the option of leftovers or a sandwich. He will always, and I mean always, pick a sandwich. His go to choices are peanut butter and jelly or turkey and he most definitely likes to keep it as simple as possible.


This Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad Sandwich sounded like something my son would actually enjoy since he loves avocado and hummus. I was wrong. He wouldn't even entertain a nibble. He even found a loophole of getting out of trying this for dinner when he reminded me that we had leftover Bell Pepper Chicken Nachos and that meant he could pick his sandwich. Touché Little Man.

I can't stand chickpeas or garbanzo beans in their true state but I love hummus. The original recipe calls for smashing the chickpeas but I knew I would not enjoy the texture. They taste too... raw. Instead I busted out the food processor and pulsed all of the ingredients together to make more of a spread.

I'm all for easy meals. Now I can add this to my sandwich rotation. Might even reach for cans of garbanzo beans instead of tuna until I burn myself out on this.

Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad Sandwich
Makes 4 Servings

Stars of the Show:
  • 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • handful of cilantro
  • 1 green onion, white and green parts
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • whole wheat bread
  • any other sandwich toppings: red onion, tomato, sprouts, cucumber
And Action:

Add chickpeas, avocado, cilantro, green onion, lime juice, salt, and pepper to the food processor and pulse until desired consistency.

Toast bread, or not. Spread chickpea mixture on bread and top with sandwich toppings of your choosing. I'd choose all of them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment