Saturday, May 2, 2015

Doin' Some Cookin'... Taco Salad


I love taco salad. I remember the first time I had it was from Taco Bell when I was a little girl since it was what my mom always ordered. My tastes have since matured and I no longer eat at Taco Bell.

Knowing that I was going to be eating crap later in the day at the baseball game I decided to try and make a healthier option by making a taco salad for lunch. It takes less than 15 minutes to make, especially if you stick to a few convenience items such as sliced olives, bagged lettuce, and premade pico de gallo.

This salad tastes so good with all of the flavors of a taco. Perfect for these warmer Spring days we've been having here in Houston. This recipe is easily adaptable to suit your family's tastes and what you already have on hand, or if you're like me, run to the store and purchase all of the ingredients so you can make it for lunch on the weekend.

Make sure to hold off on topping your salad with the tortilla chips until just before serving so they don't get soggy.

Taco Salad
Adapted From: The Larson Lingo
Makes 4 Servings

Stars of the Show:
  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
  • romaine lettuce
  • black bean pico de gallo
  • 2 avocados
  • shredded Mexican cheese blend
  • tortilla strips
  • sliced black olives
  • cilantro, to taste
  • ranch dressing - Use salsa ranch if your store keeps it stocked. 
And Action:

Brown ground beef with the taco seasoning. Once cooked, turn heat to low.

Make a bed of lettuce and pile on the toppings as you desire. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment