Sunday, November 2, 2014

Livin' It Up... Halloween Decorations

As mentioned in my prior post, during my mom's visit she wanted to go to Hobby Lobby to get supplies for an art project with Little Man. I had a list of ideas and supplies to get while we were there for some Halloween decorations.

$100 later and I had everything I needed to make 7 Halloween crafts. Over the course of the week I'd work on the projects up to the minute before heading out for trick-or-treating. I didn't care that they'd only be displayed until that night because I was determined to get them done, well at least 5 of them were completed in time. 

Here's what I made:

Footprint Ghost and Handprint Spider 



- Felt bats that I made flying out of the laundry room. Next year I'd like to have some hanging from the ceiling and differing sizes to make it look more realistic. 


- Gothic Lace Votive Holders... these were a pain in the ass to make but look really good with the lights dimmed. The blog I got the inspiration for these at made it sound so simple to make... just wrap and sew the black lace around a votive holder. One little problem, I don't know how to sew. After my first attempt at sewing I said screw it and ended up hot gluing the fabric to the votive holders. 


- Spiders. As a kid I would sit on my grandparents porch in Utah and watch the daddy long legs crawl around. The way they moved fascinated me. Now I kill any spider I see in the house. Who am I?!?! These spiders are made with some black glitter hot glue and the thickest gauge black jewelry wire I could find and cut into 4-5 inch pieces. The larger sized spiders are my favorite. 



- Mason Jar Luminaries that turned out nothing like the inspiration that encouraged this project. Anyway, this project is the reason I am going to start saving all of the glass jars I come across going forward. These luminaries are mod podged with tissue paper and the rim is coated with glitter. If I ever move into a house I plan on finding large jars and using white tissue paper and making ghosts to line the porch for a frightfully fun and festive touch. 


... and here's what I purchased from Pier 1 Imports, my favorite home decor store!!!:




Of course we carved pumpkins too. That was Little Man's request. We went to Dewberry Farm, paid almost $50 for admission, and then another $50 for 3 "perfect" pumpkins picked out by Little Man alone. Next year we'll stay closer to home and just go to Old MacDonald Farm. Same concept, smaller in size though, but cheaper. With the pumpkins, he drew on the face and we did the carving. He was so proud and so were we. 



We also visited The Mudpie Company and painted our pottery. Here's a before and after of my mug.




No comments:

Post a Comment