Saturday, November 1, 2014

Livin' It Up... E.T. Costume

Halloween can be a challenge when deciding what to be with so many great costumes and ideas. I can no longer walk into a costume shop and find something that isn't slutty or one of a kind, which means, homemade. I tend to lean towards pop-culture inspired costumes. Halloween 2012 I was the girl from the SunDrop commercial and Halloween 2013 I was the Energizer Bunny. I've been told I outdid myself with 2012's costume and won a cash prize that year at work.


My job hosts an annual costume contest and the competition has really gotten fierce, especially with fresh faces each year. I work with a very talented group of individuals who are so creative! This year the Headless Horseman, Miss Piggy, and Minions showed up. My costume wasn't prize worthy but I did place 3rd as Elliott from the iconic movie, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982). Yes, before my time and not a costume the younger generations appreciate.

I got a lot of compliments while taking Little Man trick-or-treating and that was reward enough for the effort put into my costume. I've made my costumes every year since being hired at my job but Little Man prefers store-bought. I'm okay with that because it's easy. I can't wait for him to request a costume that can't be store-bought though.


After shopping at 3 stores I had all of the supplies needed to make my costume. If you want to recreate the costume you'll need a red hoodie, bike handle bars, milk crate, a pillow, white sheet, cardboard, and a poster size print of an E.T. image. The more supplies you have on hand the cheaper it'll be obviously. The hoodie, bike handle bars, and E.T. print cost about $70. I know, I know. Homemade costumes can be so much more expensive but they are worth it because of the creativity and one of a kind factor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment