Saturday, April 22, 2017

Doin' Some Cookin'... Spaghetti Squash Carbonara

One of my favorite Italian dishes is Chicken and Bacon Cabonara. I absolutely love those noodles swimming in that rich cream sauce. My waistline on the other hand, not so much.


To me this Spaghetti Squash Carbonara wasn't really a healthier version of my beloved Carbonara but a dish of it's own. It wasn't bad at all but I had high hopes that this would be a worthy recipe makeover and was disappointed that it tasted nothing like Carbonara.

The real win from this dish (obviously that would be bacon!!) was getting Little Man to eat this. Not going to lie, he didn't eat this willingly and stood in the kitchen with me as I fed him forkfuls of it making sure to include a bacon bit in all of his bites to keep him eating the spaghetti squash without asking what it was. Haha! I always end up telling him after he's had quite a bit of it just to make him aware that he actually likes or maybe tolerates it.

This was a quick weeknight meal because of the ease of cooking the spaghetti squash in the microwave which was my first time trying it that way and now my preferred method when I'm short on time.

Spaghetti Squash Carbonara
Adapted From: Whole Fork
Makes 4 Servings

Stars of the Show:
  • 1 spaghetti squash, cooked and "noodles" 
  • 8 slices of bacon
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 eggs
  • handful of fresh basil, chopped
And Action:

Heat a skillet over medium heat and cook bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon from the skillet and place on paper towels to help drain some of the fat. Pour out bacon fat leaving enough to coat the bottom of the skillet. Crumble the bacon once cooled. 

Cook garlic for 30 seconds in the bacon fat.

Add the squash to the skillet and toss with the garlic and bacon fat.

Crack the eggs on top of the squash and add the bacon. Allow the egg to cook while tossing everything together. 

Garnish with the basil. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment