Friday, April 7, 2017

Doin' Some Cookin'... Power Bowls for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner

2017 kicked off with the realization that I only had 6 months left for me being in my 20's. Holy shit. I'm going to be 30 years old this year.

Only two years of this last decade were what I consider to be "healthy" ones and that was the year after I gave birth to Little Man and this last year after being invited on a girls' trip to Mexico and knowing I'd be sporting swimwear. I had gained 50 pounds during my pregnancy and after being cleared to workout again I worked my ass off to lose 45 pounds of the weight I packed on. It took me a year to do it.

Fast forward five years and I've packed 40 pounds back on. Ugh! I watched my weight slowly creep up year over year at my desk job. I made excuses, lots of them and I continued to do so until the start of 2016 when my company announced a Biggest Loser competition and a coworker introducing me to Whole30. I dropped almost 20 lbs in one month. I did not win the competition and watched the extremes some of my coworkers were putting themselves through. One ate nothing but veggies and bone broth for the three months and another went as far as getting liposuction. I was all about the slow and steady. As much as I like instant gratification as much as the next person I'm realistic about my body and my goals.

So, I continued getting in workouts when I could and followed Whole30 loosely. I'd get on the bandwagon for a couple of weeks and then dive head first into a tub of ranch and chicken wings with fries and then I'd get back on track again.

The yo-yo'ing that I put my body through is not healthy so I'm making it a point to get laser focused and prioritize my health again.

Now it's time to buckle down and fuel my body for the workouts that I will be getting and to be able to power through my day.

I'm looking forward to improved health, better sleep, and some pounds and inches lost.

Here are three power bowls that are perfect for the person always on the go and needing to maximize time outside of the kitchen so you can workout and meal prep like me.

Don't get discouraged. Love yourself, no matter what.


Acai Breakfast Power Bowl
  Full of fruit and antioxidants but not too sweet. Perfect option before a workout due to the fast-acting carbs. 
Makes 1 Serving

Stars of the Show:
  • Acai powder
  • frozen banana
  • unsweetened almond milk
  • protein powder
  • coconut flakes
  • hemp seeds
  • cacao nibs
  • granola
  • fresh berries
  • almond butter, optional
And Action:

Combine acai powder, banana, almond milk, and protein powder in the blender. 

Swirl in almond butter, if desired. 

Top with coconut flakes, hemp seeds, cacao nibs, granola, and fresh berries. Enjoy!


Quinoa Power Bowl
Light but filling lunch bowl.
Adapted From: Camille Styles
Makes 1 Servings

Stars of the Show:
  • 1/2 cup quinoa or any other whole grain - I used a Seven Grain mix. 
  • 1 fried egg
  • 1/2 cup roasted veggies - any combo you like (I used Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, butternut squash, and asparagus.)
  • Sauteed kale with garlic
  • 1/2 avocado, sliced
  • 1 chicken patty, cubed
And Action:

Layer all ingredients in a bowl. Enjoy!

(Leftovers without the egg and avocado)


Green & Protein Power Bowl
Adapted From: Camille Styles
Makes 1 Serving

Stars of the Show:
  • 1 cup raw kale, massaged
  • 1/2 cup shredded chicken or protein of choice
  • 1/2 cup sweet potato, cubed and roasted
  • 1/2 lemon, wedged 
And Action:

Layer kale, chicken, and sweet potato in a bowl. 

Squeeze lemon over the top. Enjoy!

Try this bowl too:

Garlicky Steak and Veggie Bowls

   

No comments:

Post a Comment