Saturday, April 29, 2017

Doin' Some Cookin'... Chipotle Scotch Eggs


With working out as hard as I have been the last couple of months and hitting the weights my body has been craving protein. The protein I crave the most is hard boiled eggs but I burn out on them because the texture gets to me after a while. 

One evening I was soaking my muscles in an Epsom salt therapy bath to help ease the soreness and I took the April issue of Women's Health magazine with me. I came across an article that had 16 different recipes all using hard boiled eggs. I pulled out the pages taking note of a couple I wanted to try.

Thursday night I had to work until 10pm but took a break to cook dinner. I was craving breakfast for dinner and remembered this recipe for Chipotle Scotch Eggs and decided to pair it with some veggies (Yukon gold potato, Brussels sprouts, and asparagus) that I could roast while the eggs were baking. 

Never heard of a scotch egg? A scotch egg is a hard boiled egg wrapped in sausage and deep fried and a popular dish in the United Kingdom. They are traditional pub food. 

Not these bad boys though which makes them waistline friendly. 

I patiently waited the 30 minutes and stayed away from Little Man's pizza he got to enjoy while watching the 2017 NFL Draft. But!, it was so worth it. These Chipotle Scotch Eggs did not disappoint. It wasn't quite the breakfast for dinner taste I was hoping for but was the perfect meat and potatoes kinda dinner. 

The recipe called for only one chipotle pepper but I used two and the chipotle flavor is subtle. Next time I would throw in one or two more and maybe leave out the carrot, although you can't really taste it and I guess why not sneak in more veggies to the diet if I can. 

I've had these Chipotle Scotch Eggs the last couple of mornings of breakfast after my workouts and they are just what my body needs. Protein wrapped in protein. Genius. 

Chipotle Scotch Eggs
Adapted from: Women's Health Magazine, April 2017 Issue
Makes 6 Servings (1 Egg Per Serving)

Stars of the Show:
  • 1 lb lean ground pork 
  • 8 baby carrots (or 1 medium carrot)
  • 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 6 hard boiled eggs
And Action:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pulse the pork, carrots, chipotle peppers and salt in a food processor until well combined. Divide the pork mixture into six equal portions and mold the mixture around each egg until fully covered. Place the eggs on a greased baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment