Sunday, March 26, 2017

Doin' Some Cookin'... Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups

This was not a meal that I made for myself. I cannot stand ricotta cheese in lasagna. I don't know what it is about it that I don't like but I always give it a try hoping my taste buds have changed. Nope, still not a ricotta cheese fan.


I had worked a 13+ hour day and took a break to make these Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups for dinner. What an ambitious dinner for a work night and the number of dishes dirtied was a sinful. Ugh! Save this recipe for a special Sunday supper unless you don't mind staying up late doing dishes.

This made a lot of leftovers so I made to-go containers for three of best girlfriends and received rave reviews. One of them stated this meal made me "wifey material". If that's the case I hope my future husband loves lasagna.

The best part of these lasagna roll ups is that they are perfectly portioned lasagnas. I know that the serving size suggests two rolls, however, everyone of my friends said that one was more than plenty. Serve with a garden salad, garlic bread, and viola! Dinner is served.

Feel free to switch up the protein and go for spicy Italian sausage or instead of the spices listed below use basil pesto, add mushrooms, and sauteed onions... the possibilities are endless.

Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups
Adapted From: Thriving Home
Makes 8 Servings (2 Roll Ups Per Serving)

Stars of the Show:
  • 1 (16 oz) box lasagna noodles, cooked
  • 1 lb mozzarella cheese, divided (separate out one cup)
  • 1 (15 oz) container ricotta cheese
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp dried parsley
  • 1 tbsp dried basil
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
  • 2 cups Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 2 (28 oz) jars marinara sauce
  • 2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
And Action:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl mix together mozzarella cheese (reserving one cup), ricotta, egg, garlic, parsley, basil, salt, pepper, spinach, chicken, and one cup Parmesan cheese.

Spread a thin layer of sauce on bottom of 9 x 13-inch pan. 

Lay out noodles on a baking sheet and spread two generous sized ice cream scoops per noodle then add one ice cream scoop worth of sauce. 


Roll the noodle up and place seam side down in the pan. Repeat for the remaining noodles. 

Top entire casserole with remaining sauce, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese. 

Bake in oven for 30 minutes. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment