Thursday, January 21, 2016

Livin' It Up... Gary Turk's "Look Up" Video


I recently watched a 5 minute video on YouTube by Gary Turk titled, Look Up. It was poetic. The message delivered is how technology makes it easier to connect, however, it results in us spending more time alone and really disconnected. That media is anything but social since you take the person out of it. You're not looking into their eyes and hearing their voice or feeling their touch through a hug or kiss.

I don't want to be a parent who entertains their child with an iPad or sitting them in front of the TV.

"Look up from your phone, shut down the display, take in your surroundings, make the most of today."

It's about being present.

To be completely honest, if someone doesn't have a social media account (Facebook is all I have) then I struggle to keep in contact. I know I need to spend more time investing in these relationships which would obviously require some extra effort.

Going forward, I'm going to make a more conscious effort to put my phone away while accompanied and creating more opportunities for my son to get outside and play. #apartmentliving

Not everyone agrees with the message and that is okay. I appreciate the reminder that it's important to take a step away from technology but not entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment