Sunday, January 10, 2016

Doin' Some Cookin'... Oven-Fried Chicken


I freakin' love fried chicken. I love the smell. I love the crunch. I love how to skin parts from the meat in one bite. I love how juicy and tender the meat is. I just freakin' love it!!

This oven fried remake is a fantastic healthier alternative to have for when those cravings hit, however, I am not going to lie to you or myself... nothing compares to good ol' fried chicken.

The chicken gets marinated in a spicy buttermilk bath and then coated in whole wheat breadcrumbs before crisping up in the oven. It comes out crunchy on the outside and juicy on the inside.

I received rave reviews from Little Man and know that this recipe is a keeper.


Oven-Fried Chicken
Adapted From: Paula Deen Cuts the Fat: 250 Favorite Recipes All Lightened Up
Makes 4 Servings

Stars of the Show:
  • 4 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp hot sauce
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
And Action:

In a medium bowl whisk together the buttermilk, mustard, hot sauce, and garlic. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add the chicken to the buttermilk mix and marinate for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a baking sheet with cooking spray.

In a wide shallow bowl, toss together the breadcrumbs and salt and pepper. Remove chicken from marinade, letting any excess drip off, then drip the chicken in the breadcrumbs to coat well. Place the chicken on the baking sheet. Coat the chicken generously with cooking spray. Bake until the chicken is lightly browned and cooked through, about 30 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment