Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Doin' Some Cookin'... Mexican Chicken and Tortilla Soup

Only being facetious.

(Tortilla chips not shown in this photo since the soup was taken to work and I don't enjoy soggy chips.)

Ever since the Paula Deen "N" word scandal I can't help but read some of what she says as racism now. In her cookbook, Paula Deen Cuts the Fat: 250 Favorite Recipes Lightened Up, I came across her recipe for Mexican Chicken and Tortilla Soup. Her description reads, "I reckon this soup is something like the Mexican version of our Down-Home Chicken Noodle Soup (page 72)..."

In my head I hear her saying "Mexican version" with a negative connotation.

Being that I don't know this soups true country of origin I'll assume it truly is from Mexico and give her a hall pass on that one.

A big bowl of chicken soup is warm and comforting and Pappasito's restaurant is my go to, however, the weather has made for less than desirable driving conditions being a rainy day and I don't want to leave the comforts of my warm and cozy abode so I have to make my own so I can put a stop to these relentless cravings for it.


When making this, if you don't like soggy chips make sure to add the tortilla chips into individual serving bowls instead of mixing them directly into the soup. I love the little bit of a crunch they add to the texture of the soup.

This rendition is pretty damn good.

Mexican Chicken and Tortilla Soup
From: Paula Deen Cuts the Fat: 250 Favorite Recipes Lightened Up
Makes 6 Servings

Stars of the Show:
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 cups onions, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) no-salt added diced tomatoes
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
  • 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels
  • 3 cups baked tortilla chips
  • 3/4 cup avocado, chopped
  • 6 tbsp scallions (green and white parts), sliced
  • 6 tbsp Greek yogurt
  • lime wedges, for serving
And Action:

In a large pot heat oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and chili powder and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the chicken broth, tomatoes, and salt. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken, beans, and corn. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes more. 

Place the tortilla chips in the bottom of individual serving bowls. Ladle the soup over the chips. Sprinkle with avocado and scallions. Finish with a dollop of the yogurt and serve with lime wedges. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment