Sunday, November 22, 2015

Livin' It Up... Houston Texans vs New York Jets

We were released early from work Friday afternoon and before picking up Little Man from daycare I swung over to the mall to pick up some Texans gear from Victoria's Secret Pink NFL Collection. I knew it was going to be cold come Sunday and luckily found the last sweater in a medium (didn't think it would fit but to my surprise I have dropped a size in the last couple of weeks).

Because tickets included a tailgate party that started at 10am I had to set an alarm Sunday morning for 8am. Alarms on the weekend, ick!! 

Excitement of going had me up before the alarm and I was ready to go before the discussed 9am departure time. 

The Steelers had a bye week so I rep'd a Cowboys jersey underneath the Texans sweater. When my date saw me he said, "Uh... your sweater is see through." I was busted! I'm not a fan of the Texans or the Jets so it really pained me to wear this sweater. I'm such a poser. Having this on underneath really did make me feel better. 


The drive there and parking were a breeze. We decided to pass up the Churrasco's tailgate party and head inside to see what grub they had there. After riding two escalators and making it to the Verizon Club Level we were greeted by a band playing early 90s jams (swoon!! and the singer kept making eyes and winking at me!!) and a Bloody Mary Bar. "Do you want one now?" I kept saying I could wait but I couldn't. It was so awesome. You purchase your vodka (Grey Goose for me!) and then take your cup over to the bar and make your own adding the bloody mary mix, Worcestershire sauce, garnishes (celery, pickled okra, garlic stuffed olives, pickle) and shaking some celery salt on top and finishing it off with some lime juice. I had two! They were that good but holy shit they were expensive. $24!! 


We decided on grabbing burgers from Prince's. Another fun experience. You order your plain burger with fries and then take it over to a toppings bar where a server adds toppings of your choice. I went overboard. Swiss and bleu cheese, bacon, fried and grilled red onions, tomato, lettuce, and little bit of mayo. These burgers were perfectly seasoned and the fries were crisp with soft centers. I didn't get a picture because it was too good to stop eating. 

As we were walking to our seats we were stopped and gifted with a $100 gift card to The Republic Smokehouse. Wahoo! Never been and looking forward to trying a new restaurant in H-Town. 

It was 15 minutes to kickoff so we took our seats and ended up wedged between a judgmental middle aged woman and another middle aged woman with her husband. She did not shut the fuck up the entire time. Screamed and added commentary the ENTIRE game. I'm sure her husband loves Mondays when she wakes up with no voice. 


These two woman grew on me by the end of the game as did the drunks behind us who forgot where they were seated bouncing four rows south of where they were supposed to be and our entire row hollering for them to turn back. We all shared a good laugh. 

(Before kickoff... enjoying the view and the Bloody Mary)

(This was there "Salute the Troops" tribute game and it was a touching experience. They had a service member repel with the American Flag with Toro's mascot head on and a bald eagle soared through the stadium. That actually made me get a little bit choked up. What I loved the most was the VP of FMC Technologies gifted a mortgage free custom built home to a veteran. Loved these moments the most!)


By the time the half rolled around my throat was so dry from the alcohol and cheering for the Texans but I was secretly rooting for the Jets because they were my weekly pick 'em choice. We ventured back in to grab some ice cream and water. The looks on everyones faces as I bounced around like a little kid with mine were priceless. I stuffed myself after about 10 bites of it and as one of the fans walked by me he commented on how delicious it looked. I told him I was done and jokingly asked if he wanted it. He didn't hesitate and snatched it up. Glad it didn't go to waste but damn! I would never take food from someone. 


(J.J. Watt is such a stud to watch on the field. He knows these are his fans... in his house... knows how to hype up the crowd... and kills it on the field.)

The Texans won the game beating the Jets 24-17. It was such a fun experience and grateful to mark this off the bucket list. 






No comments:

Post a Comment