Sunday, November 15, 2015

Doin' Some Cookin'... Clean Banana Bread


This week instead of freezing my overly ripened bananas for use in smoothies I decided to make banana bread. This is my first time ever making banana bread. Nothing compares to my Grandma's. Growing up when we spent the Summers in Utah with her she would bake a loaf, slice it up, toast it, and then slather it in butter. I remember how delicious the toasted walnuts tasted and how moist it was.

With trying to eat healthier I decided to look for a diet friendly recipe so I was not expecting my loaf to turn out anywhere as delicious as hers did. The recipe I found uses whole wheat flour and applesauce as substitute for oil. I opted to go without the dark chocolate chips. I know, I'm no fun.

While this baked an aroma of cinnamon and bananas filled the house. The smell alone was absolutely satisfying. Little Man exclaimed how good it smelled.


But the taste!! Sweet, moist, and full of banana flavor. Served a slice with scrambled eggs and enjoyed with a cup of coffee. Resisted the temptation to smear it with butter. This was the perfect brunch for a lazy football Sunday.

Looking forward to enjoying this for breakfast for the next couple of mornings until it's gobbled up.

After I cleaned up we spent the afternoon playing board games while watching football.  Again, a perfect Sunday!!!

Clean Banana Bread
Makes 1 Loaf (8 Slices)

Stars of the Show:
  • 3 egg whites
  • 3 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1/2 cup cinnamon applesauce
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
And Action:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Beat egg whites in a bowl and add the mashed bananas, applesauce, honey, and vanilla extract. Mix to combine. In a larger bowl, mix the dry ingredients then add the wet ingredients to the dry. Mix lightly to combine. Pour mixture into a nonstick loaf pan. Bake 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Pull the loaf out of the oven and let sit for 10 minutes covered with foil. Slice and serve. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment