Monday, July 27, 2015

Livin' It Up... Sunday at Galveston Beach


I really enjoy feeling the sand on my feet and the warmth on my skin, spending most of my time under an umbrella listening to the waves and feeling the ocean breeze. There is no better way to spend a day than with sun, sand, and surf.

Before Little Man left to visit his dad I promised a trip to the beach after he learned I was going on a beach vacation without him. I didn't know he'd be gone seven weeks, it was only suppose to be four but they kept requesting more time together.

When I finally got Little Man back he remembered my promise and I'm all about keeping promises.

We woke up early Sunday morning and I packed our beach bag with sunblock, sunglasses, beach towels, hats, lip balm, a garbage bag, and reading material. I also packed a cooler with lots of water, made homemade guacamole, tortilla chips, watermelon chunks, and tuna sandwiches.

(Had the beach to ourselves for a half hour!)

After loading up the vehicle we stopped at McDonald's to grab an Egg McMuffin and drove to Galveston. It took about an hour and a half to get there. We always park in the lot next to Fish Tales which costs $16/day. It's worth it for us since it is right across from the area of the beach we enjoy next to the Pleasure Pier and after hanging out on the beach all day we'll usually end with dinner at Fish Tales... but not this time since we packed the cooler. We did stop at Fish Tales to use the restroom and pick up milkshakes.

Little Man learned how to boogie board and said he found a new favorite hobby. I was so proud of him for being so brave since he's not the strongest swimmer and he wiped out a couple of times.

(The water is really brown... Galveston beaches aren't what I grew up with on the West Coast and definitely not as pretty as Florida.)


(Caught the wave at the perfect time!)


The temps were in the triple digits so we made sure to apply lots of sunblock frequently, wore our hats/sunglasses, and stayed under the umbrella when not in the water but we still ended up with sunburns. This made the drive home uncomfortable with being gritty from the sand on raw skin.

(Sleepin' on his boogie board)

(Christmas in July)

Thankfully, the drive home was a breeze because there was no traffic. We made it home before 6pm and ended up grilling burgers and hot dogs after we took showers.

Little Man is already asking to go back. I can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment