Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Doin' Some Cookin'... Slow Cooker Beef and Lamb Chili

Since June 20th I haven't had an excuse for not staying on top of blogging. I've been extremely lazy and lost my passion for cooking and working out. Story of my life since becoming a working mom. Get really motivated and then get so far off track over and over again. Sigh.

Back in April I took on a challenge to obtain a Certified Lease and Finance Professional (CLFP) designation. I didn't know most of the contents in this 450+ page book and would come home after a long day at work, do the night time routine with Little Man, and after laying him down I'd stay awake most nights until midnight studying. June 20th was the 8 hour exam... and it was a beast! Essay question heavy and after I handed in my exam I went home around 5pm, had dinner, and fell asleep until the next day.

I passed!

Now I need to focus on getting back into shape. I really don't want to say I'm re-starting again and the whole losing and gaining the same 5 lbs is getting old. The next challenge I want to take on is getting a designation in being SEXY.

Back to chili.

(Served over Chick-Fil-A's waffle fries with a side of chicken tenders before adding cheese and sour cream)

My favorite way to watch a movie is going to Alamo Drafthouse because you can order tickets and pick seats online and the food is incredible. During the Spring they served these Lamb and Beef Chili Cheese Fries that were absolutely crave worthy. Went back about a month ago and they removed it from their menu because they were seasonal. Boo! I just had to try and recreate them at home.

While this recipe is good it's not exactly what theirs were. This chili is spicy and had to be tamed with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and french fries and left out adding green onions as a garnish. When I make this again I will be sure to halve the spices but I kept the amounts the same for the recipe in case you're a fan of heat.

This chili does require some pre-cooking but finishes off in the Crock Pot. I love how effortless slower cooker cooking is.

Slower Cooker Beef and Lamb Chili
Adapted From: Hungry Bruno
Makes 6 Servings

Stars of the Show:
  • 1 tbsp bacon fat
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 stalks celery, cut into half moons a 1/2" thick
  • 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
  • 2 green bell peppers, diced
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 lb ground lamb
  • 1 lb stewing beef
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (28-32 oz) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 tbsp cumin
  • 1/2 tbsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tbsp red chili flakes
  • 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp celery seed
  • 1 tsp ground white pepper
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • sea salt
And Action:

Heat 1-2 tsp fat in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add green bell peppers, celery, and jalapenos, saute for 5-7 minutes until they start to soften. Add the garlic, season with salt, and saute for one more minute. Scrape the veggies into the slow cooker.


Add another 1-2 tsp fat in the skillet. Add the lamb and break it up with a spatula, season with salt. Cook until no longer pink, stirring frequently. Drain the fat before scooping into the slow cooker.


Add another 1-2 tsp fat in the skillet. Add the beef. Turn the pieces occasionally, trying to get a golden crust on at least two sides. Scrape into slow cooker. 


Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and all of the spices. Stir and put the lid on the slow cooker. Set it to low for 8 hours. Take the lid off and let it simmer for an hour longer to let it thicken. 


Serve with desired fixins. Enjoy!










No comments:

Post a Comment