Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Doin' Some Cookin'... Lemony Toasted Quinoa and Cabbage Salad

A work day in the life looks something like this lately:

5:00 am - wake up, make coffee, and head to the bathroom to do hair and makeup
6:45 am - pack lunches
7:00 am - drop Little Man off at school and then I head to work
5:45 pm - pick Little Man off from after school care
6:00 pm - cook dinner
6:30 pm - eat
7:00 pm - dishes and then go through Little Man's homework
7:30 pm - help Little Man shower
8:00 pm - lay Little Man down for bed, throw in a load of laundry if needed, workout
9:00 pm - shower
9:30 pm - cozy clothes and settle into my spot on the couch to study for my CLFP exam
12:00 pm - bed

My body is screaming at me today for rest. It doesn't help that I'm so go-go-go and that it's "that time of the month". Exhausted!!! But... being me... I don't listen to my body especially when I have a goal in mind. My priorities outside of Little Man (my numero uno!!) are working towards my weight loss goal and being a certified leasing professional which has a deadline.

Pulling those hours means I have to do my best to eat as clean as possible so that way I give my body proper nutrition and brain fuel.

(The photo does not do this justice.)

I made this lemony toasted quinoa and cabbage salad. The flavors meld so well together. I couldn't stop sneaking bites throughout the prep. This recipe is great for clean eating because each ingredient aids in digestion and detoxifying properties. Quinoa is a fantastic protein source and cabbage is high in Vitamin C, fiber, aids in inflammation and helps prevent cancer.

This recipe makes plenty which is perfect for taking leftovers to work for an easy light lunch and can even be enjoyed cold and is 21 Day Flat Belly Challenge approved.

P.S. - I'm still trying to complete Day 2's workout and still can't seem to hold a plank for more than a minute at a time. This shit is tough but I've been doing great with staying within my daily calorie goal.

Lemony Toasted Quinoa and Cabbage Salad
Adapted From: PopSugar Fitness
Makes 4 Servings

Stars of the Show:
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup red quinoa, rinsed well
  • 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 1/2 head green cabbage, cored and sliced thinly
  • 3 oz pitted green olives, halved
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • nonfat Greek yogurt for serving, optional
And Action:

Bring water to a boil in a medium pot. Stir in quinoa and salt. Return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain quinoa.

Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add cabbage and season with salt. Stir occasionally until tender and browned, about 8 minutes. 

Add 1 tbsp olive oil to cabbage. Add quinoa, olives, and lemon, toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with a dollop of yogurt, if desired. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment