Saturday, October 10, 2015

Livin' It Up... Weekends Are Perfect For Painting

I do not recall a time I have heard another person mention their New Year's resolutions after the month of January, including myself. Why am I bringing this up? Because one of 2015 resolutions was to try and find hobbies I enjoy.

As a working mom I have lost so much of what made me lust for life. Instead all of my time revolves around Little Man and working. When meeting new people they ask what I do for fun and I give a sort of blank stare and drag out a "um, well...". I've got nothing. I must sound like the most uninteresting person ever.

So I made a list of about thirty things I wanted to do in 2015. Not all of them are "new-to-me" activities but more of wanting to fall back in love with them.

Halfway into the year I can say I enjoy hiking, wandering around museums, baseball games, music, taking naps, making holiday crafts and costumes/art projects, cooking, gardening, at home spa days, cups of coffee in the mornings on the weekend, movies, shopping at Banana Republic and Target, traveling, and reading inspirational quotes.

I have about eight more items to work through and right now painting is what I am currently working on.

(The colors in person are so vibrant!)

I am so not artistic. I need a blueprint for inspiration just like when I'm in the kitchen, I am a recipe follower and rarely deviate. I purchased this "Romantic Love Autumn" paint-by-numbers so I could add more to my Fall decor and I'm a total sucker for scenery photos/prints/paintings. Making art to fill the walls is perfect for someone with champagne tastes on a beer budget.

Paint-by-numbers is totally a brainless cheap project. Being that I make decisions all day long with being a Credit Analyst I am down with an activity like this where I do not have to make any decisions and I can't screw up... or so I thought.

I dropped my paint brush with paint on it numerous times onto the canvas, filled in numbers with the wrong color, painted outside the lines, and drug my hand through the paint. I even found food crumbs on it one night since it was a project I did while sitting on the couch using the ottoman and Little Man would eat near me.

This is a fantastic parent/child bonding activity as we sat side-by-side. I worked on my project and he painted his blank canvas. In my opinion, he is much more artistic than me not needing paint-by-numbers.

(Little Man painting a Halloween scene on canvas)

(Why I need a paint-by-numbers... pathetic!!)

(Song lyrics from the Arctic Monkeys' "Do I Wanna Know?" and my favorite Fall beverage from Starbucks, a Salted Caramel Mocha Frappuccino... Definitely feelin' the love!!)

Decorating the home is not exactly a talent of mine, nor is painting. But! I did enjoy spending my weekend doing absolutely nothing but painting. Just wish that I could get excited about cardio and carrot sticks but I'm the work in progress.

Check out my painting playlist, "Creating Something Beautiful":

*Red Hot Chili Peppers: Scar Tissue
* Lana Del Rey: Off to the Races
* Margot and The Nuclear So and So's: Cool, Kind, and Lemon Eyes
* Daniela Andrade: La Vie en Rose
* 78 Violet: Today
* Ed Sheeran: Nina
* The Lumineers: Flowers In Your Hair
* Nina Nesbitt: The Apple Tree
* City and Colour: Thirst
* City and Colour: Comin' Home
* Katzenjammer: Rock-Paper-Scissors
* Why?: The Vowels Pt. 2
* Guns N' Roses: Sweet Child of Mine
* Maxwell: This Woman's Work




No comments:

Post a Comment