Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Doin' Some Cookin'... Coconut Overnight Oats

I gravitate to all things coconut. Tropical anything for that matter. I've had to ditch coconut fried shrimp though with trying to eat clean. Boo!

Cleaning eating means that I actually need to meal prep the night before and with trying to fit in workouts that means my bedtime has now been pushed anytime from 10pm to midnight. Because of that I struggle to get out of bed in the morning. My pre-coffee self scares me even. Eek! By the time I get lunches packed, Little Man off to school, and then make it to work I am hangry.

Having something that was prepped the night before that took maybe five minutes to put together and becomes a grab and go meal is perfect for my busy lifestyle. The prep also means that I'm setting myself up for one healthy choice after another... well... except for that first of the season Venti nonfat, no whip pumpkin spice latte with half the syrup from Starbucks that I had today.

... and we all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, or so they say. Why couldn't it be dessert? Hmmm.

Just so you know you can make a work week's worth of these overnight oats ahead of time and the best part is the millions of variations that can be found on the Internet for inspiration and to switch it up every day.

If you prefer something warm, especially with the colder days upon us, then zap it in the microwave before serving and topping with the fun stuff.


While this Coconut Overnight Oats recipe was delicious and a great variation to have in my playbook my favorite overnight oats recipe to date is this, Banana Bread Overnight Oats.

Coconut Overnight Oats
Adapted From: Katie Did What
Makes 1 Serving

Stars of the Show:
  • 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/3 cup light coconut milk
  • 1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • ground cinnamon, to taste
  • optional toppings: banana, nectarine, peaches, and coconut flakes
And Action:

Combine the oats, coconut milk, yogurt, vanilla extract, and cinnamon in a glass container. Mix well. Store in the fridge overnight. When ready to eat add toppings if desired. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment