Sunday, July 30, 2017

Doin' Some Cookin'... Southwestern Superfood Salad

I'm back on my Whole30 kick and have a pretty sweet reward in mind for completion. Day one of Whole30 was a much needed body reset because I woke up bloated from a day of poor eating yesterday.

This salad is packed with peaches and avocado on a bed of arugula with a zesty smoked almond cilantro pesto dressing. This is a flavor kick in the mouth. If I wasn't on Whole30 I would have added grilled corn, quinoa, and black beans. I forgot to add my grape tomatoes too. An afterthought was that if I wasn't also trying to keep this meatless a citrus grilled chicken breast would have been a nice addition as well.

The pesto recipe is going to be saved for the next seafood night.

The salad is light and refreshing and provides the perfect fuel for a good workout. Today I focused on working out triceps, shoulders, and hips. It's been over a month and a half since I've been able to workout due to bronchitis and strep at the same time. Definitely fatigued my muscles and it felt so good to earn that afternoon nap.

Now that I'm back in the fitness game I need to find a sturdy one piece swimsuit for the gym (in a smaller size than my suit from last summer, yay!!) so I can get in that lap pool.

Make this meatless salad for a meal that will come together in less than 20 minutes.


Southwestern Superfood Salad
Adapted From: Camille Styles
Makes 1 Serving

Stars of the Show for the Salad:
  • 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 2 cups arugula
  • 1 peach, sliced
  • 1/2 avocado, cubed
  • 1/4 cup smoked almonds
Stars of the Show for the Pesto:
  • 1 cup fresh cilantro
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1/4 cup smoked almonds
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1 tbsp lime juice
  • pinch of red chili flakes
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
And Action:
 

Add all ingredients for the pesto in a blender and pulse until smooth.

In a large bowl, combine the salad ingredients. Toss with the desired amount of pesto. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment