Friday, February 24, 2017

Doin' Some Cookin'... Jamaican Jerk Salmon with Fresh Mango Salsa

I have been struggling to follow any sort of healthy eating plan at the moment. I go a week or so with being really good and then get a craving for something bad and can hold off the craving for a day or two before I cave. My cravings are obviously trigger foods and I end up spiraling out of control for a week or so before getting back on track. It's a vicious cycle and I find myself losing the same five pounds over and over again. It's my own damn fault. Another problem, I love me, so I'm content with my body and weight but I do need to take better care of myself and get serious about my health. Especially since my 30th birthday is approaching quickly. 

Step one: telling my besties "hell no" when it comes to running out and grabbing lunch with them. They eat like shit and so do I. We're all terrible for each other in that regard. But really, it should be all things in moderation, including my besties. Haha!!

So it's back to lean proteins and lots of greens.


This Jamaican Jerk Salmon with Fresh Mango Salsa was my attempt to impress a friend who is from Jamaica and newer to the States. Because I get cooking anxiety when it comes to cooking for someone for the first time or until I become comfortable with them I tend to stick to things I know or will make a recipe ahead of time.

This salmon was so easy to prepare, flavorful, and nutritious. It also made enough leftovers to enjoy for dinner for the next couple of nights which set me up for success each evening to stick to eating clean. 

When I decide to invite my friend over I know what I'll be making for them. 

Jamaican Jerk Salmon with Fresh Mango Salsa
Adapted From: Prevention RD
Makes 4 Servings

Stars of the Show for the Salmon:
  • 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 4 (6 oz) salmon fillets
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
Stars of the Show for the Salsa:
  • 1 mango, diced
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1/4 tsp salt
And Action:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. 

In a small bowl, combine all of the spices for the salmon. 

Brush the flesh of the salmon with olive oil and rub with the spice mixture coating the entire surface. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes or until cooked through.

While the salmon bakes, put together the salsa mixing all ingredients in a bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve. 

Serve the salsa over the salmon. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment