Monday, December 26, 2016

Livin' It Up... Movie Night, The Help


I know, I know. I'm only 5 years behind in watching this movie and I have never read Kathryn Stockett's novel, The Help.


This film exposed the oppression of the female African American maids in the 1960s during the Civil Rights Movement deep in the Jim Crow South of Mississippi. An aspiring writer, Skeeter, played by Emma Stone, worked together with "the help" to share their stories of what it was like working with white families and their daily struggles. 

This movie is powerful. I even shed a few tears. 

Sadly, racism is still very strong and it can't be "helped" with stories alone. When will it ever get better and for us all to realize we're all just humans? Love your enemies. 

Love is not a color and character doesn't know a shade of skin. 

Aibileen, played by Viola Davis, shares a strong message that should serve as a reminder to ourselves and something we should be teaching our daughters, "You is kind. You is smart. You is important." 

... and lastly, Minny, played by Octavia Spencer, inspired me to polish my cooking skills and gave me reason to never trust another chocolate pie again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment