Saturday, October 15, 2016

Doin' Some Cookin'... Roasted Mushroom and Ground Beef Stroganoff


Beef stroganoff is a Russian dish made with sliced beef and a creamy sour cream sauce. Beef stroganoff is one of my favorite comfort foods. I absolutely love a giant bowl of this beefy pasta. The best part about this recipe is that there is only one pot and a baking sheet to clean up and the dinner dishes. Great dish to make on a busy work night. 

My mama would make what I considered to be a "gourmet" version when I was growing up using a more expensive cut of beef, a velvety sauce, and the mushrooms and onions were sautéed in olive oil and garlic. Perfection. 

She comes out to Texas for a weekend visit every one to two years and the last couple of visits it has been beef stroganoff I've requested. This last visit was no difference except this time I was the one making us dinner after seeing that my mama has aged in the last two years and isn't quite as healthy for slaving over the stove either. Because I was cooking and it was football Sunday I decided on something that wasn't too labor intensive. 

I've also been go, go, go every weekend. California, the cruise, and my mom's visit snuck up on me. I thought I had too more weeks. I'm really looking forward to a "relaxing" weekend. As a mom, y'all know what a relaxing weekend really means... I might be able to sneak in a short nap and one shower. Haha!!

Definitely not on my mama's level but a good substitute. By the way, this was my first time making beef stroganoff outside of a box of Hamburger Helper and I made enough to feed us for three days.

Next time I will add some onions to my mushroom roast and use classic egg noodles. 

A little fact about me... I only like mushrooms when they are piping hot and I'm very particular about the way they are cooked and the kind of mushroom. I do not enjoy them reheated. 

As I mentioned, I've been so darn busy since August that home cooking has taken a back seat. I forgot how much I love being in the kitchen. It's my happy place. 

Roasted Mushroom and Ground Beef Stroganoff
Makes 8 Servings

Stars of the Show:
  • olive oil
  • package of sliced seasoned mushrooms
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • onion powder, to taste
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 lb lean ground beef
  • 6 cups low sodium beef broth
  • 16 oz whole wheat rotini
  • 2 cups sour cream
And Action:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Heat some olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the ground beef, onion powder, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until browned breaking up the beef as it cooks. 

Pour in the beef broth and the pasta. Bring to a light boil and then cover with a lid. Continue to cook and stir often for 17-20 minutes. 

While the pasta is cooking add the mushrooms to a baking sheet and toss with olive oil. Roast for 15 minutes until browned and set aside until pasta is done cooking. 

Remove the pot from the heat. If it looks like there is too much liquid drain some of it so the sauce it's too liquidy. Stir in the mushrooms and sour cream. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment